Admissions Policy Statement
Admission to our educational establishments is through recommendation by the SEN team for young people with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan). Admissions to special schools and colleges, such as Barrs Court and Beacon College, are for the Local Authority (LA) to determine on the basis of its consideration of all the advice received about a child or young person’s special educational needs. The admissions authority for Accordia Academies is Herefordshire Council's Children's Wellbeing Directorate.
All students on roll have been assessed as having a learning difficulty and/or disability and may have characteristics that include:
- Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD)
- Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD)
- Multi-Sensory Impairment
- Autistic spectrum disorder
The Admissions Process
The Admissions Process is determined by ‘The School Admissions Code’ and ‘The Admissions Appeals Code’ written by the Department for Education (DfE).
Both codes are available from www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-appeals-code
- The level and type of provision required by a child or young person is considered at the point of agreeing an Educational, Health and Care Plan or at an annual review.
- The school/college receives consultation papers from the LA.
- The school/college reviews all documentation and considers whether the pupil/student’s needs can be met and whether the school/college has the space, staffing and resources to accommodate the child/young person within its existing operational organisation.
- Parents/carers, prospective students, their teachers and supporting professionals are advised to and are welcome to visit the academy by prior appointment.
- Academy staff will sometimes visit the young person’s current education setting and family as necessary.
- Once a place at one of our settings has been formally offered a transition programme will be planned for the child or young person on an individual basis and may include taster sessions or a phased entry into school/college life if that is requested.
- Children and young people can be admitted to Accordia Academies Trust between the ages of 11-19 depending on availability of spaces.
We believe it is important that all prospective families are able to have knowledge of and evaluate all the options available to children who have an EHC Plan.
We welcome informal visits by families without obligation or without waiting for the L.A. to name one of our settings.
Please contact us if you would like to arrange a visit.